Vision and Mission
BOĞAZİÇİ UNIVERSITY FACULTY OF EDUCATION
GUIDANCE AND PSYCHOLOGICAL COUNSELING PROGRAM
Taking a pioneering role in generation of interdisciplinary scientific knowledge in the field of guidance and psychological counseling; reflective transformation of theory and research into ethical professional practice supportive of development and well-being of individuals; and promotion of change towards social justice and peace, respectful of all beings.
Within the scientist-practitioner framework,
- Developing foreign language competency at a level that allows following scientific, technological, and artistic developments at national and international levels; becoming knowledgeable about the country's language, culture and history.
- Investing in contributing to individuals’ quality of life and welfare of communities; viewing mental health as an inseparable part of health and wellness.
- Committing oneself to continuous self and professional development as a counselor; building a professional identity with an integrity and ethical stance.
- Modeling accessible and supportive learning environments where diversity is valued and individuals are encouraged to be critical, creative, technologically skillful, and insightful independent learners who take initiative for responsible action.
- Being committed to the advancement of the counseling profession, providing leadership through collaboration, consultation, and research; building local and global professional environments where academic knowledge and professional experiences are shared and expanded.
- Assessing developmental and diverse needs of individuals, couples, families, groups, and educational or wider communities.
- Recognizing and responding to the changing needs of the clientele in effective ways, adapting to changing methods and techniques of the services, promoting resources and supportive networks, and acting as a social change agent towards establishment of resilient communities.
- Generating and disseminating research, applying research findings to improve accountable services towards meeting client needs.
- Adapting the ecological systems and social justice orientations; building multicultural competencies to advocate for individuals and groups who are disadvantaged in the society; promoting inclusive social policies.